Tuesday 26 April 2022

Tuesday, April 26 2022

 "Stop the habit of wishful thinking and start the habit of thoughtful wishes."

~ Mary Martin ~

What a great morning! Waking up to news that both our teams won their games last night. Hurray to the Jays and to the Raptors! Last night I deleted my Twitter account after hearing the news about Elon Musk buying the platform. It's about to become a hotbed of hatred and anyway I have been avoiding it lately because it makes my anxiety rise. Gotta take care of me. Chatted with Miss B yesterday about her pending move to the UK and how exciting it is for her! I can't wait to go for a visit. Praying that all her planning goes smoothly and everything works out perfectly.

Cooking: Pasta and Kidney Bean Soup or Pasta e Fagioli from Italian Favorites (Williams-Sonoma) I was going to make this yesterday but I forgot to buy the pancetta/bacon. I love this cookbook. It has some of my favourite Italian recipes and I've used it a lot over the years.

Drinking: Tetley Immune Tea (lots of zinc and echinacea)

Reading: History of Art (Jansen), Chapter 3, Sumerian Art

Listening to: Radio Shafaq, Erbil, Iraq on Radio Garden (as close to Sumer as I could find) Surprisingly not as conservative as I had expected. They have female voices as singers/announcers/advertisers and the music is catchy enough. It makes me feel like dancing!

Weather: 7c and sunny at 8:30 am. Looks like a beautiful day ahead! Thinking of doing some work in the garden and hoping to get some bulbs planted.

Library Pick Ups:   

  • Girlhood (essays) by Melissa Febos I really enjoyed Abandon Me last week
  • Snow Country by Sebastian Faulks I remembered how much I loved Birdsong
  • No One Is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood Should be interesting because it's about the impact of social media on a woman's life.

Pasta and Kidney Bean Soup

1 can white kidney beans (the recipe uses dried but I want a faster soup)

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 oz (60g) pancetta or bacon, finely chopped

1 yellow onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (fresh or canned- I use canned)

1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage

Pinch of red pepper flakes

Salt and freshly ground pepper

4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock

3/4 cup dried small pasta such as shells or macaroni

6 Tbsp grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese

In a soup pot over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the pancetta, onion, garlic and saute slowly, stirring until the onion is soft, about 12 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, sage, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the beans and stock and simmer for about 30 minutes longer to blend the flavours. The beans will be very tender and the soup will become stewlike.

Add the pasta to the soup and simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is al dente, 12-15 minutes. The timing depends on the type of pasta.

Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with the cheese and serve immediately.

Serves 6





1 comment:

  1. I have never used Twitter, but I hear a lot of Tweeters are dumping it over Musk buying it. Seemed to me to be a Platform that was far too spontaneous for people to blurt out stuff they'd soon either regret or should have kept to themselves. I do think controversial people used it irresponsibly too. Amazing to me how many people put something out here in Cyberspace and then seem surprised when what they Wrote comes back to Haunt them later... it's Evidence that remains indefinitely and can be retrieved even if deleted... in some cases it has cracked a Case or gotten an Indictment secured. People should really be more careful and discerning about their Social Media. Perhaps it's a good thing some of these Platforms are becoming unpopular. I do Love the Land of Blog tho', this Community Rocks! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete

Tuesday, May 3 2022

  "Art is simply the name for how you live your life  and how you tell others what you think and feel." ~ Karen Magsamen, Living A...