Wednesday 27 April 2022

Wednesday, April 27 2022

 "We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are."

~ Adelle Davis ~

I'm wondering, does anyone grow old without health issues? Is it possible to age and not have diabetes, heart problems, high cholesterol? My husband and I are both in our 60's and it seems that everyday we get out of bed and ask each other "how do you feel?" Sometimes it's about our feelings but usually it's about our aging bodies. "How's your neck? Your shoulder? Your hip? Your foot?" A good day is when all questions can be answered positively. "All good." You have to careful how you walk, how you sit, how you sleep. Everything you do always has an underlying concern- how will this affect my body? I'm diabetic so I have to think about everything I eat, how much insulin to use, how much exercise I do. I watched my mom grow old with so many health issues and I don't want to be the same. Dad, who lives with us, is 85 and is relatively healthy. He mainly deals with his diabetes, which I help manage. But still, it's an unending list of doctor's appointments and blood tests for all of us. When you're young who thinks about health? I hardly did. You really do think that you'll live for a good long time without worries. Unfortunately, life catches up with you and everything you've ever done seems to affect the waning years of your life. If I could I'd warn the younger people in my life to be more careful, make better choices, look before you leap, but honestly, who would listen?

Listening: Radiodowntown on Radio Garden; Knowing Me, Knowing You by ABBA

Reading: Girlhood by Melissa Febos. What an honest writer! She writes brilliantly with such beautiful language and insight. 

Weather: 5c and cloudy. The week ahead is full of rain... sigh.

Drinking: Tetley Immunity. Dusted off my sweet brown teapot and made a full pot today, and am using the cute mug hubby bought me recently.




4 comments:

  1. I guess I have done well. I am 79 years old and can still walk ten km without difficulty and lead bird walks and make presentations all over. I hope I can continue like this for another twenty years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure walking is an essential key to staying vibrant and fit as we age! I also hope you (and I) have 20 more years :)

      Delete
  2. Well, it beats the alternative, since growing Old is a privilege not afforded to many. But, yeah, if we owned anything as Old as us we'd expect it to be broken down or fragile now, since it would be considered an 'Antique', so perhaps we shouldn't be all that surprise that this miraculous machine that is our functioning Body and Mind would require some maintenance after Six Plus Decades mark? *Winks* We don't bounce back and Heal as effortlessly as the Young so I often have to be Mindful of that since from what my Adult Grandkids tell me, I do a lot of stuff that an Older Lady should NOT be doing at my Advanced Age. *Bwahahahaha* In my Head I just don't 'Feel Old', but my Body often reminds me that there are now some limitations I must consider and Care taken not to overdo things or be risky. I too am an Insulin dependent Diabetic and controlling that when the ole' Pancreas is faulty is quite the Daily Adventure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diabetes is a huge challenge since it affects so many body parts! But I honestly don't let it hold me back. Gotta dance while we still can :)

      Delete

Tuesday, May 3 2022

  "Art is simply the name for how you live your life  and how you tell others what you think and feel." ~ Karen Magsamen, Living A...