Friday 29 April 2022

Friday, April 29 2022

 "I learned that stories are important, that they are the way our souls are made visible to others."

~Clive Doucet~ (Notes From Exile: On Being Acadian)

Had a bit of a scare this morning! dad usually comes upstairs at precisely 7 am for coffee and breakfast so when I heard him coming up at 6:30 I was a bit concerned. I am the one who looks after his diabetes and his insulin so I am always a bit worried about his blood sugars overnight. Being blind now he can't do it for himself since it would be easy to make serious mistakes. However, this morning it wasn't a blood sugar issue but he had had a fall during the night. So we discussed it and he pulled his shirt up to show me his back. "Ohhhh Dad" I said "You've got a pretty bad gash there!" And it was quite bad at first glance. About 10" long and very red. So far there's no bruising but I think that will develop. Good thing I have a well-equipped first aid kit and I had everything I needed to get him cleaned up. After wiping it clean it didn't appear quite so serious, just a long line of broken skin on the surface. So that's good. I put some antibiotic cream on it and a light bandage and I'll check it later this morning. The hard part was trying to figure out exactly why he fell. He just had his 2nd booster on Wednesday and he wasn't feeling great last night when I helped him with his nightly needs. I thought he had a bit of a fever and his arm was sore. He said he was very disoriented around midnight when he got up to use the bathroom and couldn't find his light switch and the door. He must have tripped or bumped into his desk. He really doesn't know, but he says he sat on the floor for some time and couldn't get up. Eventually he did and got back to sleep. I've got to figure out some better lighting for him- perhaps a gadget or a motion detector type. Plus I think I'll get him a stationary walker (without wheels) to have right beside his bed. Anyhow... now I just need to keep the wound very clean and help him heal. As we age, especially with diabetes, everything takes so much longer to get better. I'm thankful he didn't hit his head or break anything!

Reading: Girlhood by Melissa Febos, brilliant and oh-so-honest essays about growing up

Watching: Midsomer Murders on Amazon Prime. We started watching this series at the beginning of February and we're now on Season 18 of 22. This is our afternoon pleasure several times a week, with baseball being our evening choice. Go Jays!

 Shopping: Yesterday was 'senior's day' at our local pharmacy and I remembered to take advantage of the discount. We save up points from our groceries and pharmacy purchases and then I splurge by buying books! They have a small but up-to-date selection and I almost always find a few new novels to buy. They are always 25% off the cover price (which is nice), then I get the senior's discount of another 20%, and then I use my points to pay for everything! I got 5 books and ended up paying $3.67!!! Plus when you spent over $50 you get a $10 card for future purchases! Can't beat that deal!

Weather: 4c, overcast and not looking like spring. The tulips are coming up but still have a ways to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, May 3 2022

  "Art is simply the name for how you live your life  and how you tell others what you think and feel." ~ Karen Magsamen, Living A...